Umm…Is that a hole?

Have you ever pulled something like this?
You’re sewing along, and all of a sudden you have a HUGE uh oh moment.
This was me last night. I was completely finished with a new dress for Reli, hemmed and all, when I decided to re-serge the waist seam to reduce some of the bulk from the gathering. I remove it from the serger, hold it up, and Wait WHAT! The middle of the bodice somehow got caught up in the waist. Oh well, just un-pick it and try again right? I must have caught a bigger chunk than I thought, because after everything is unpicked I am left with what you see above.
GRRRRR! 2 holes in the middle of the bodice back.
No way to hide it. I mean who puts a flower or applique in the middle of their back?
AND I’m out of that fabric, so there is no point in taking the whole dress apart and replacing that piece. 
What would you do? 
Patch it and hope no one can tell?
Throw it in the corner and pretend it doesn’t exist?
Trash it? Cry a lot? Burn it? : D
This is such a waste of what precious little sewing time I have! 
I’m completely open to any suggestions, but for right now I’m gonna take the
day off before I ruin anything else!
post signature

8 thoughts on “Umm…Is that a hole?

  1. It's hard to see exactly where it is. If it's off to one side I'd probably try stitching on a vertical band of ribbon with a matching one on the other side, possibly (depending on design) carrying them down over the front bodice. If it's in the middle, maybe a fake button placket in a contrast fabric?

  2. Or, any chance you could tweak the neckline and sleeves and make the dress work back-to-front so that this becomes the bodice front? Then there's a lot more scope for appliques.

  3. Or (have been getting baby to sleep so had this running through my mind) do you have enough fabric left to cut (one or two depending on position of hole) strip(s) the height of the bodice by a couple of inches wide, put pintucks in those strips and then applique them on the back of the bodice so that it looks as though the back bodice is itself pintucked?

    Or (final suggestion) could you take it apart, leave the skirt and sleeves in the patterned fabric but redo the frobt and back bodice in a matching solid, maybe with fabric-covered buttons from the remnants of this, then stitch it all back together? As you've already serged the seams, though, I wouldn't envy you trying to do that.

  4. WoW Leah, Thank you so much! You put a lot of thought into this, so I really hope you check back (once more) and see this. I feel so bad that I couldn't find an e-mail to respond to you directly.

    I should have taken a better picture, but the dress is a peasant style, with an elastic casing neckline and a gathered waist. With all that bunching ribbons, pintucks, and plackets are all out unfortunately. I wish that I would have thought to just turn the darn thing around and make the damage on the front, cuz that is just stinkin' Brilliant! But alas I went with your last suggestion. (kinda)

    I remembered a dress that I made out of this same fabric last year and cut a replacement piece from that one. After tons of unpicking (and a bit of swearing!) everything is back together. Whew, now I'm going for ice cream. I deserve it. ;D

  5. That is a total bummer! I've done that before and it is soooo frustrating! looks like you got it solved…..you are so good with that sewing machine I knew you'd figure something out 🙂

  6. Dear Toni,

    I had this before, and it really makes you wanna cry…

    As I am german and sew euro 🙂 I would attach some fabric on the back side and then put an application on top.

    And then I would make some more applications (or embroidery), so that nobody will ever see that it wasn't on purpose.

    Greetings,
    Tina

  7. Wow! Amazing suggestions! All I could come up with was depending on the style, graduating bows up the back to hide… or some sort of patch/interfacing on the inside or hold it together and hopefully diguise.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *